Full-time jobs are posted on this website as well as being advertised in the national press. Keep your eyes peeled – we’re a great place to work.
Ivy Press – Project Editor
At Ivy, we create beautiful illustrated books for discerning, curious readers, across subject areas ranging from ornithology and sports science to architecture, natural history and economics. Our titles maintain the highest editorial, design and production standards, and we work with publishing partners all over the world.
The Ivy Press is looking for an experienced project editor to work on a list of illustrated, non-fiction books. The role entails managing all stages of book development in conjunction with an art director, from commissioning the text through to supplying final electronic files to our production department.
The ideal candidate would have the following skills and experiences:
• proven editorial experience in book publishing
• able to work in a busy office environment
• deft problem-solving abilities
• able to create illustration and picture research briefs from authors’ manuscripts
• able to manage multiple projects on similar deadlines
• able to manage the work of authors and freelance contributors such as copy-editors, proofreaders, indexers and picture researchers
• excellent written and verbal communication skills
• able to work in InDesign
• experience of project managing illustrated, non-fiction books
• experience of the requirements of publishing books suitable for co-editions.
The position is full-time.
If you think you meet the criteria, please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or send by post to ‘Applications,’ Ivy Press, 210 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 2NS
The closing date is Friday: 19th December 2014.
Managing Editor – Ivy Kids
At Ivy Kids, we create beautiful non-fiction titles for thoughtful, creative and curious children, with a focus on innovative design and highly original content. Our books maintain the highest editorial, design and production standards. Most importantly, all our titles inspire children to engage with the world around them.
We need a creative and enthusiastic Managing Editor to join us. Working as part of a small (but growing), dedicated in-house team, you will need a particular knack for organisation, excellent editorial instincts, an eye for effective design and the ability to deliver on time, and to budget. Experience of children’s publishing, preferably in a managing or senior editorial role, as well as experience managing freelancers, is essential. You will be based in our offices in Lewes, near Brighton.
As a key member of a core in-house team you will be required to:
• manage a busy publishing programme of highly illustrated, children’s non-fiction books with the Art Director to ensure exceptional titles are delivered on time and within budget
• manage an Editorial Assistant and work closely with the Commissioning Editor and Art Director
• liaise with other in-house departments
• commission and manage external freelance project managers
• work closely with freelance editors, illustrators and designers
• liaise with international co-publishers
• research new freelance contacts
• deliver sales material as required
Essential skills and experience
You must be able to:
• demonstrate experience of managing multiple children’s non-fiction books
• create schedules and budgets
• work with InDesign
• work effectively in a close-knit team
• manage (and provide feedback on) the work of other editors
• solve problems and stay organised
• demonstrate a strong visual sense
• show you have some understanding of international publishing markets.
If you think you meet the criteria, please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com or send by post to ‘Applications,’ Ivy Kids, 210 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 2NS.
The closing date is 5th December 2014.
Experienced freelance children’s editors needed!
Ivy Kids is our children’s imprint. We would like to hear from visually literate, experienced freelance children’s editors, proofreaders and project managers to work on our range of creative and innovative titles.
Please email us your cv.
The Ivy Group is constantly on the look out for exceptional book designers to work on presentations and live books. If you can mix creative typography and layout, are a good problem-solver and can think editorially, we might have a job for you.
We use writers, editors, proof readers, Americanizers and indexers on a regular basis, and have a need of more good people in all categories.
We commission lots of artwork, created both digitally and traditionally. Our books are varied and so are the range of styles we use to illuminate them.
We need macworkers who are familiar with InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, and can get to grips with the make up of complex integrated, illustrated books through to repro level. The majority of work is done in-house at our Lewes offices, although there are also some opportunities to work out of house.
The Ivy Group occasionally need professional picture researchers to work on our non-fiction, co-edition, illustrated titles. Extensive experience of searching for images, rights clearance, fee negotiation and budget management essential, as is a creative eye and a diverse range of sources with the contacts to match. Get in touch if you wish to be considered for our roster of freelancers.
If you come under any of the categories listed, have a proven track record and would like to join the extensive Ivy Group freelance team, please send us your details. Either email us your applications or post them to:
The Ivy Group
210 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex. BN7 2NS in an envelope marked ‘applications’.
If you are a designer or illustrator, please include samples of your work.
If you’re interested in writing for us, you should head over to our For Authors page.